In the ever-evolving landscape of medical education, technology plays a pivotal role in enhancing the learning experience for healthcare professionals. Among the innovative tools making waves, the Smart-C® Mini C-Arm stands out as a game-changer, offering unprecedented real-time X-ray imaging capabilities in training surgeons on new technologies. In this brief, we provide Smart-C best practices to achieve the best possible performance during your lab.
1. Use of a large, detached monitor:
Use of the HDMI port on the tablet or on the tablet docking station by connecting to a larger display. This enables educators to project to a larger monitor, which is ideal for large groups of surgeons to view the tablet display and x-ray images.
Tablet Docking Station:
2. Adjust the C-arm sleep settings according to your lab needs: To conserve battery power, SMART-C® will enter a sleep mode after a period without input or interaction. The duration of inactivity before sleep can be set by the user on the System Settings Tab to 5, 15, or 30 minutes. When the C-arm is in sleep mode, the Smart-C cannot acquire an image. The user can press the C-arm POWER button or press the SAVE button on the footswitch to wake the C-arm from sleep. The C-arm requires approximately 10 seconds to wake from the sleep mode.
3. “Delete All Exams” function: At the end of each lab, the operator may want to delete all the exams from the library before the next session. The most efficient way to do that is to open the settings window found on the home screen and select “Delete All Exams”.
4. Optimizing Image Quality:
- Ensure auto kV/µA is turned ON: The SMART-C® can automatically adjusts the x-ray image to optimal kV levels, which reduces the need for the operator to adjust the x-ray technique manually.
Auto kV/ µA button:
When turned on, the button will light up green.
- Adjust Brightness and Contrast: Typically the auto brightness/contrast setting provides optimal B/C values. It may be necessary at times to adjust these settings when an image appears dark without adequate contrast. This can also be accomplished by manually increasing the kV but remember the system stays at the set kV until the Auto kV/µA in reactivated.
- Recursive Filtering: Using the filter button applies temporal frame averaging to reduce noise in static images while reducing dose. When imaging motion it is recommended to turn off FILTER.
- Edge Enhancement: Edge enhancement enhances fine anatomical detail of bone. This setting generally is best left on low and is applied to the last image of the sequence.
- Reduce “toe-tapping”: Toe-tapping occurs when an operator quickly taps on and off the exposure switch, resulting in a short exposure length. Turner Imaging Systems recommends that the x-ray exposure button is held down long enough that the operator can hear one to two audible tones. By holding the exposure button slightly longer, SMART-C® can adjust kV to the optimal setting.
5. Protecting Your Investment:
- Drapes: We have all seen accidental damage to equipment during labs. While some customers have added their own protection to the SMART-C® for their lab use, Turner Imaging Systems suggests using the SMART-C® surgical drape to help protect the system from accidental damage.
SMART-C® drapes have an added layer of protection with a thin plastic shield over the detector. The drape provides extra protection from accidental damage that can occur when surgeons are operating directly above the detector.
- Tracking: When shipping SMART-C® across the country to service your labs, one peace-of-mind purchase you can make is an Apple AirTag. AirTags are small, coin-shaped devices designed to help users keep track of their belongings. An AirTag can be placed inside of the transport case, allowing your team to track the location of the SMART-C remotely.
AirTags leverage the “Find My” network, which uses a combination of Bluetooth, UWB (Ultra Wideband), and the vast Apple device network to help precisely locate a lost item. This can be especially useful when trying to locate an item in a specific room or area.If you lose an item with an AirTag attached, you can put it in Lost Mode through the “Find My” app. When another Apple device comes across it, it can anonymously report its location back to you.
- Annual Preventative Maintenance (PM):
Many customers opt for annual PMs on their x-ray equipment. PMs help identify and address potential issues before they escalate. This can prevent unexpected breakdowns, reduce downtime, and improve the overall reliability of an x-ray system.
One advantage of the portability of the SMART-C® is that a technician does not need to be scheduled to arrive on-site and perform the PM. Rather, we ask our customer to ship SMART-C® to our factory for thorough testing. A PM for SMART-C® can be scheduled with the Turner Imaging Systems customer service team (email@example.com) when you have availability in your education schedule to accommodate.
- Premier Service Plan (PSP): A Premier Service Plan (PSP) is essentially a service contract purchased in 1-year increments to cover the SMART-C® warranty beyond the standard warranty. Some other benefits of the PSP include:
- Ensures the repair and/or replacement of Smart-C system components that fail under normal use during the purchased coverage period, including but not limited to the software, X-ray detector, X-ray source, Tablet, electronics, computers, and mechanical parts.
- Accidental active component coverage covers the repair or replacement of the X-ray detector, X-ray source, or Tablet computer during the coverage period.
- Covers all expedited shipping costs of products to and from Turner Imaging Systems for repair or replacement.
- Replacement shipped air and typically received within 48 hours.
- Premier Service Plan guarantees a 98% system uptime.
Note: If your SMART-C® was acquired through a subscription, a service plan is already included in your package. Contact Turner Imaging Systems (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
The Smart-C® Mini C-Arm emerges as a transformative tool for medical training and cadaver labs. Its portability, real-time imaging capabilities, and versatility make it an indispensable asset for educators and students alike. As medical education continues to evolve, Smart-C® stands at the forefront, empowering the healthcare professionals of tomorrow with the skills and knowledge they need to excel in their careers. Contact us today to learn more: email@example.com